Generally people look at the sensor resolution as big deciding factor, but on these two cameras there is no difference in the megapixels. But you should keep in mind that the RAW image size on the D7000 is 19MB which is quite large. If you are like me, then on a day out I am constantly pressing the shutter release and I quickly end up with several hundred images. So if you are leaning towards the Nikon D7000, then keep in mind that you will need more storage, both on the camera and your computer.
For me the weight of a camera is always important, as I often travel with young children, who need a lot of stuff. If this is an issue for you then you need to consider that the D5100 is considerably lighter.
Both cameras have the same screen resolution, but as already mentioned above, the Nikon D5100has the very convenient feature of a foldable swivel display. This feature gives you great flexibility when it comes to getting a good view point. I can’t remember how many times I have either been lying down on the floor to try and make sure I have good composition and correct focus when I take picture of my kids. Or, there are the situations where I want to take a picture over something where I need to stretch out my arms above my head and end up hoping for the best when it comes to composition.
Speaking of focus, this is one area where the Nikon D7000really shines with 39 focus points compared to 11. This means that the camera will be able to focus a lot quicker and more accurately, and 39 focus points is something you tend to see more on professional cameras.
The Nikon D5100has a lower amount of frames per second, with 4 compared to 6 on the D7000. If you take a lot of action photography, then this is could be quite important to ensure you get that perfect image. Personally I am happy enough with just 4 fps as this is enough for taking pictures of my kids
As I mention above, the differences are subtle and it all comes down to whether you can justify the extra money on a D7000 for the gains in functionality. But here is what I decided on.

Which Camera Did I Buy?
For me the decision between a D5100 vs D7000 was pretty straightforward. The extra $250 was simply not worth it for me, and I actually think that the swivel display on the D5100was the big selling point. It is a feature that I use very regularly and would seriously miss if I suddenly didn’t have it any more.

To this day I do not regret my decision and have not encountered serious limitations where I would feel like I regret not having bought the D7000. Light in weight, easy to handle and a very handy display have all made me a very happy customer.
Where To Buy The Camera?
After shopping around a little bit on the Internet, I decided to go with Amazon.First of all they were among the cheapest, and at the time I think there was only about $10 to $15 between the cheapest ranking websites. My past experience with Amazon has always been good, with orders shipping fast and secure, and most importantly they offer free shipping. Hopefully this information will have helped you to come to a decision on the Nikon D5100 vs D7000.